Qualifying has concluded and the field is set for tonight’s eliminations at the IHRA Nitro Jam Southern Nationals Presented By Crower at Bradenton (Florida) Motorsports Park.
No. 1 Qualifiers: Tim Boychuk (AMSOIL Nitro Funny Car Presented By Aeromotive), John Montecalvo (U.S. Bounty Hunters Pro Stock), “Tak” Shigematsu (Nitro Harley) Isaias Rojas (Crower Pro Mod) and “Kat” Moller (Jet Dragsters).
Heartbreak struck more than one big name at the track. Kevin Bealko, winner of the U.S. Bounty Hunters Pro Stock final at the IHRA Nitro Jam event in Baton Rouge last month, failed to qualify. His final time trial of the meet was his best (6.664 sec./197.45 mph) but he was bumped from the field, as was Dean Goforth and New Yorker John Pluchino. Dina Parise qualified for the eight-car Crower Pro Mod field but did not run the final qualifying session after suffering mechanical woes on her brand-new supercharged Cadillac. She was to meet No. 1 Qualifier Isaias Rojas in the first round. Rickey House and Lyle Newton failed to qualify in the Nitro Harley class.
Final eliminations are scheduled to begin at 5 p.m.
THIRD/FINAL ROUND OF IHRA NITRO JAM SOUTHERN NATIONALS QUALIFYING
CROWER PRO MOD
- Isaias Rojas (San Juan, Puerto Rico) 2006 Cobalt 5.968 sec./237.02 mph.
- Jimmy Keen (Parrish, Florida) 1963 Corvette 5.993 sec./237.02 mph.
- Chuck Mohn (Fountainville, Pennsylvania) 1969 Camaro 6.005 sec./229.53 mph.
- Kevin Fiscus (Jacksonville, Florida) 2012 Mustang 6.035 sec./239.74 mph.
- Ruben Tetsoshvili (Wesley Chapel, Florida) 6.120 sec./241.54 mph.
- Jerico Balduf (New Smyrna Beach, Florida) 1941 Willys 6.206 sec./220.53 mph.
- Bill Lutz (Canal Winchester, Ohio) Camaro 6.733 sec./185.22 mph.
- Dina Parise (New Freedom, Pennsylvania) 2013 Cadillac 10.043 sec./78.73 mph.
AMSOIL NITRO FUNNY CAR PRESENTED BY AEROMOTIVE
- Tim Boychuk (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) 1977 Trans-Am “Hawaiian” 5.756 sec./238.03 mph.
- Mike McIntire (Mentor, Ohio) 1970 Camaro “McAttack” 5.766 sec./243.04 mph.
- Jason Rupert (Yorba Linda, California) 1969 Camaro “Black Plague” 5.831 sec./245.83 mph.
- Paul Romine (Fishers, Indiana) 1979 Mustang “Man O’ War” 5.870 sec./218.07 mph.
- John Hale (Addison, Texas) 1969 Camaro “One Bad Texan” 6.042 sec./237.52 mph.
- Bruce Litton (Indianapolis, Indiana) 1974 Vega “U.S. Male” 6.061 sec./232.67 mph.
- Steve Nichols (Newark, Delaware) 1970 Camaro 6.190 sec./232.67 mph.
- Mark Sanders (Maple Valley, Washington) 1970 Mustang “Mr. Explosive” 6.228 sec./230.17 mph.
U.S. BOUNTY HUNTERS PRO STOCK
- John Montecalvo (Speonk, New York) 2013 Camaro 6.288 sec./222.82 mph.
- R. Carr (Pasco, Washington) 2015 Camaro 6.302 sec./223.32 mph.
- Trevor Eman (Pos Chiquito, Aruba) 2011 Mustang 6.338 sec./221.02 mph.
- Cary Goforth (Holdenville, Oklahoma) 2013 Camaro 6.349 sec./222.05 mph.
- Cale Aronson (Chillicothe, Missouri) 2010 Mustang 6.379 sec./221.62 mph.
- Matt Bertsch (Tecumseh, Michigan) 2007 Mustang 6.390 sec./220.37 mph.
- John Konigshofer (Otterville, Ontario, Canada) 2013 Mustang 16.435 sec./85.32 mph.
- John DeFlorian Jr. (Arnold, Missouri) 2015 Camaro 8.534 sec./151.48 mph.
Did not qualify:
John Pluchino (Commack, New York) 2006 Escort 6.488 sec./183.59 mph.
Kevin Bealko (Bridgeport, West Virginia) 2013 Camaro 6.664 sec./197.45 mph.
Dean Goforth (Holdenville, Oklahoma) 2014 Camaro 11.723 sec./97.28 mph.
- Takeshi Shigematsu (Ehime, Japan) 6.393 sec./216.76 mph.
- Larry “Drums” Brancaccio (Nutley, New Jersey) 6.400 sec./221.67 mph.
- Randal Andras (Amelia, Louisiana) 6.633 sec./216.86 mph.
- Tracy Kile (Asheville, North Carolina) 6.721 sec./213.57 mph.
- Bob Molloy (Elmton, Maryland) 6.726 sec./193.12 mph.
- Jim Fagan (Valley City, Ohio) 6.951 sec./205.90 mph.
- Jay Turner (Julian, North Carolina) 7.623 sec./124.36 mph.
- Alvin Kobernusz (Manly, Iowa) 8.057 sec./139.59 mph.
Did not qualify:
Rickey House (Humble, Texas 8.366 sec./192.67 mph.
Lyle Newton (Naniamo, British Columbia, Canada) 8.388 sec./123.62 mph.
- Katarina Moller (Osprey, Florida) 5.727 sec./284.45 mph.
- Elaine Larsen (West Melbourne, Florida) 6.027 sec./272.56 mph.
- Shea Holbrook (Groveland, Florida) 6.102 sec./260.19 mph.
- Marisha Falk (Port Orange, Florida) 6.103 sec./275.48 mph.